Biological, chemical and physical hazards can harm food safety. Therefore, system approaches are needed to analyze hazards in advance. HACCP is a systematic approach that controls product safety in food businesses and sets standards on this issue. This term, created from the initials of the words Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point, means Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points. This standard, which is a Food Safety and quality system, provides hazard analysis at critical control points to eliminate risks.
SO, WHAT IS HACCP?
HACCP is a standard developed to make food production healthy. This standard determines the conditions in food establishments and facilities where food and beverage production should be. It is a standard developed to prevent the occurrence of foodborne diseases and to bring consumers with healthier and higher quality products.
You can get additional information about what is HACCP in the following video:
HACCP was applied for the first time in the USA in the 1960s. HACCP conditions were taken into consideration for the products developed for Nasa and the US Army, and then production and service were carried out in accordance with the rules of this standard in official institutions. In 1993, it was made mandatory in the food production processes of the countries within the European Economic Community by spreading to Europe.
The date when HACCP standards started to be implemented in our country is 2002. It stated that the requirements of the HACCP system in Turkey in 1998 and in 2002 began to apply the standards in our country.
WHAT DOES HACCP DO?
The main purpose of HACCP standards is to eliminate the factors that will adversely affect human health. This standard firstly determines the hygienic conditions required for healthy food production.
It then checks that the production takes place in accordance with these conditions. In addition, it determines the necessity of taking some precautions to exclude these elements by determining the risk factors.
So what do HACCP standards do?
Businesses and facilities operating in compliance with these standards;
- It prevents the risks that will harm the consumer health.
- It adopts the system approach and prevents potential hazards from occurring.
- It carries out its activities in accordance with international quality management standards.
- It anticipates the problems that will occur in food safety and minimizes the material and moral losses spent on solving the problems.
- The customer gains trust and ensures customer satisfaction.
- It ensures product reliability and increases their quality.
- It increases its market share and profit rates.
- It increases the awareness of food safety in the industry and society.
The HACCP standard is both a food safety system and a quality assurance. If these standards are complied in production and distribution systems, physical, biological and chemical hazards are under control.
Most of the companies that apply the HACCP standard were observed to apply the ISO 9001 Quality Management System standard, and then they were observed to switch to the HACCP standard. Because ISO 9001 Quality Management System standards support to speed up the HACCP implementation phase.
WHAT ARE HACCP PRINCIPLES AND APPLICATION STEPS?
Inspection of food production and service stages increases the quality of products circulating in the market as well as general public health. In this regard, HACCP standards are very important in food production and service.
So, what kind of a path is taken while determining HACCP standards? Here are the implementation steps of HACCP standards:
- Hazard analysis
- Determining the plan and program
- Detecting critical control points
- Determining the target at control points
- Creating appropriate monitoring methods
- Implementing corrective actions against non-compliance and errors
- Identifying verification studies
- Archiving details about applications
HACCP, gıda güvenliği için önemli bir yönetim sistemi yaklaşımıdır. Çünkü gıda üreten işletmelerin süreç ve tesislerin türüyle ilişkili olabilecek tehlikeleri önceden belirler ve proaktif bir yaklaşım getirerek risklerin ortaya çıkmasını engeller.
Günümüzde gıda üreten kuruluşlar, HACCP yönetim sistemi kapsamında üretim süreçlerini gerçekleştirmelidir.